Runze Yao V00938092

Chloe Yao V00932861

Peer review of French 256: Intermediate Oral French created by edci335 pod3(https://french256.opened.ca/)

The summary of the course is very concise and attractive, such as the dubbing of two French films mentioned in the course introduction, and the last activity where students will play the roles of witnesses and detectives in a detective drama written by a tutor. From the course summary, you can intuitively feel the strong interaction and interest. At the same time, the expression of learning results is also very concise, with only four points, which clearly explain the learning results after completing this French class.

In the first part of the study, you can also feel the obvious interaction, but this is also a fact. For language learning, face-to-face communication is always the most effective learning method. For example, in the first part of the study, the instructor will interact with the students one-on-one through the dialogue in the practice textbook. And the dialogue will be very diverse, involving self-introduction, daily life and hobbies. At the end of the first part of the study, the instructor will play a video to help practice oral French, which also reflects the teaching concept of direct-instruction.

The second part of the study is mainly group discussion. Students have a lot of freedom to choose the topic they want to discuss. At the same time, the tutor also puts forward very substantive suggestions for the topic discussion. The setting of this group discussion is very reasonable. Because if the group members don’t know each other in the next two activities, the activity will become very boring and lose the meaning, so this discussion can be a good way for the group members to develop relationships with each other.

The third part is the dubbing of French films in groups of students. This is a very novel language teaching method. I have studied English as my second language systematically for about half a year. During my learning process, dubbing is indeed a very good way to practice oral English. Firstly, dubbing is very interesting. Secondly, students can intuitively feel the difference in the pronunciation of spoken language. It is a good way to learn foreign languages. Of course, if the second part of the study is very successful, when everyone knows each other very well, this part of the study may be more effective.

The fourth part of the study is the part I am most interested in. The students will play a variety of roles to find criminals in a detective game. Such a game can increase the relationships between students and the students’ desire to win will increase their desire to communicate. The desire to communicate can make oral communication closer to real life. Perhaps the pronunciation and grammar of the students may be wrong, but the most important thing is to let the opposite party understand what you want to express. And if you want to win this game, you have to let other students understand what you want to say. So this game will be a very good way to guide students in oral communication.

Generally speaking, this course is very interactive and interesting. But I am more worried about the implementation of this course, because in general, the cohesion of this course is very strong, you need to do each part of the study to make the next study plan more effective. For example, the first part of the communication between the teacher and the classmates. This part of the study requires very high demand for the instructor. The instructor needs to guide the students to communicate. If the instructor asks a question and the classmate cannot answer at all, the instructor needs to be quick and guide students to answer another question that they can answer. If the stalemate is too long, it may increase students’ fear of spoken French.

As for the second part, it is very likely that students will not take the initiative to discuss the problem, and if there is a single classmate who has no familiar friends in the class, then he is easily isolated, and then a tutor is needed to guide the students to discuss and arrange individual students into groups to help him integrate with other students. As for the learning activities of the third and fourth parts, I am more worried about the difficulty of these two activities, because for the film, there are many difficult sentence patterns in the film, and there are simple sentence patterns. I hope that this part can more clearly indicate the segments that need to be dubbed.

For the fourth part of the detective game, I also hope that it can be introduced in more detail on the learning webpage, because in general, the detective game is more complicated, and complicated information exchange is very difficult for students who are just learning French. Because everyone may only say a few words. Then this has a great impact on the progress of the game. At the same time,correct me if I am wrong, this webpage should teach other students some substantial knowledge, not just a teaching plan. The teaching plan should have been reflected in the blueprint.

Generally speaking, this course is very interactive, and the education method is very novel, but I think it may be a bit unclear on the details, I hope it can be improved.